About this Archive
MSC Bournemouth was formed in February 1986 with the aim of providing somewhere for mainly gay men with an interest in leather and similar fetishes to meet and socialise. Initially the club was called Bournemouth Leather MSC (BLMSC) but this was changed to MSC Bournemouth in 1995 in part to encourage those with fetishes other than leather to support the club. From early on club nights were held regularly in the Bournemouth area, although they ceased in 2014.
In addition to club nights many other special events were held. The club's birthday in February was celebrated from the start and a summer weekend called “Hide & Sea” (Hide as in leather!) was also arranged along similar lines. In addition the club hosted the Fellowship of UK Clubs (FUKC) AGM on several occasions as well as the FUKC Bike Run (usually combined with the “Hide ‘n’ Sea” event). In addition, over the years there have been many club dinners, parties and other events, plus trips to events hosted by other clubs.
The club was associated with the informal “Fellowship of UK Clubs” (FUKC) from early on. This allowed events organised by clubs in the UK to be coordinated and publicised. However it wasn’t until 1991 that the decision to apply for membership of the European Confederation of Motorcycle Clubs (ECMC) was made and full membership was granted at the ECMC AGM held in Paris in October 1992. Membership of ECMC was maintained right through until the club was wound up in December 2015 and delegates regularly attended the ECMC AGM’s held around Europe from the mid 1990s until 2015.
The vast majority of members of the club over the years were gay men, and in fact, for many years the club constitution stated that membership was open to men only. Later this was amended to be non-gender specific and in fact the club did attract a 1 or 2 female members in the 1990’s and again in the 2000’s. This made it the only UK club to even allow female members. Most members were from the local area, mainly Bournemouth and Poole, but over the years there have been several from further afield.
At the AGM in 2014 the club was without a President and Treasurer and so a further Special General Meeting was held later in the year to either fill these posts or agree to wind up the club. Again it was impossible to fill the minimum number of committee posts so a motion to wind the club up at the end of the following year (2015) was passed overwhelmingly. The existing committee agreed to continue and in its last year the club held its 29th Birthday Weekend in February and a final “Hide ‘n’ Sea” event in July. The final two events were the last AGM in November and a Christmas meal for members in December.
Scope and content
Archive of MSC Bournemouth (1986-2016), including:
- Papers regarding the administration and activities of MSC Bournemouth, including committee minutes, 1987-2015; minutes of Annual General Meetings and Special General Meetings, 1994-2015; Secretary's handbook, 1988-2015; newsletters, 1986-2015; accounts and financial records, 2008-2016; papers regarding other organisations, including: minutes, papers, ephemera and other material from Annual General Meetings of the European Confederations of Motorcycle Clubs (ECMC), 1995-2015.
- Minutes, papers, ephemera and other material from Conferences of the Fellowship of UK Clubs (FUKC), 1996-2015; papers regarding the administration and organisation regarding the 2004 ECMC Bike Run, hosted by MSC Bournemouth, 2004; papers, newsletters and constitutions of other groups, including London Blues, Midland Link MSC and Manchester Superchain, 1992-2015.
- Photo albums and photographs of MSC Bournemouth social gatherings and activities, including Bike Runs, Hide & Sea Weekends and Birthday Celebrations, 1989-2009.
- Awards and trophies presented to MSC Bournemouth by other gay leather/fetish clubs, including trophies, pendants, mounted club badges and mounted photographs, 1986-2010.
- Club patches and badges for MSC Bournemouth and other leather/fetish clubs, n.d.
- Clothing and material items produced by MSC Bournemouth, including club banner, club uniform shirt and t-shirts, 1992-2004.
10 boxes and other items.