About this Archive
(b. 1946) painter and illustrator
Patricia Faulkner (b. 1946) is an English painter and illustrator. She studied at West Sussex College of Art, Worthing/Chichester 1962-1964, at Kingston College of Art 1964-1967, and at the Royal College of Art 1967-1970, where she was awarded a silver medal.
Between 1968 and 1993 she participated in over 30 mixed exhibitions; she also had solo exhibitions (1971-1984) at galleries including Mercury Gallery (Cork Street, London); John Nevill Gallery (Canterbury); Portal Gallery (London) and Rizzoli (New York).
In addition to these exhibitions, Patricia Faulkner also created the following works:
- Painted piano for an exhibition organised by Harrods (London, 1969)
- Painted bed for Mercury Gallery (1980)
- Set of six limited edition plates for Mercury Gallery (1973)
- 15 illustrations for the book, The Joy of Lesbian Sex (NY: Crown Publishers, 1977)
- Menus for Quaglino's restaurant in the Cavendish Hotel, St George's Hotel, The Library restaurant (all London) and for the Municipal Restaurant, Middlesbrough (also place-mats, logo for the napkins and crockery, etc.)
- Greetings cards for Fitzpatrick Cards (1985-1986)
- Poster for Cavendish Hotel, (Christmas 1980).
Patricia Faulkner's career was disrupted by a diagnosis of RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) in the mid-1980s.
In 2014 Faulkner was approached by Art UK/the Public Catalogue Foundation regarding including reproductions of her work in their online catalogue of public works of art (the 'Your Paintings' website and the 'Oil Paintings in Public Ownership' series of catalogues).
Scope and content
Original artwork, prints, press cuttings, photographs, personal artefacts, correspondence and other material regarding Faulkner's artwork, 15 illustrations for 'The Joy of Lesbian Sex' and other projects, [1949-2016], including:
- Hardback copy of a first edition of the book, 'The Joy of Lesbian Sex' by Dr Emily L. Sisley and Bertha Harris, illustrated by Yvonne Gilbert, Charles Raymond and Patricia Faulkner (New York: Crown Publishers, 1977, [ISBN 0-517-53159-3])
- Paperback copy of a first edition of 'The Joy of Lesbian Sex' (1977, [ISBN 0-671-24080-3])
- Original artwork (paintings, drawings and prints) used in 'The Joy of Lesbian Sex' and in magazine work done by Faulkner for journals including Homes and Gardens and The Illustrated London News. Includes original paintings on hardboard of 'Medieval ladies at night', 'Medieval ladies in a landscape', 'Medieval ladies with a tent' and 'Medieval ladies with a horse'
- Flyers and catalogues for exhibitions of Faulkner's paintings, including those at the Mercury Gallery and Portal Gallery (London), Nevill Gallery (Canterbury) Middlesborough Art Gallery, Grant Fine Art Gallery (Newcastle, Northern Ireland), Frost and Reed (Worthing) and the Royal Academy's 1970 Young Contemporaries 21st Anniversary Show, [1970-1975]
- Press clipping, 'Drawing attention to themselves', Beckenham and Penge Advertiser, [15 April 1982]
- Correspondence with art galleries and art dealers, [1970-1985]
- Photographs of Faulkner and her work
- Letters from Year 6 schoolchildren at St Matthew's Church of England Primary School, Raynes Park, 
- Correspondence with Art UK/the Public Catalogue Foundation [PCF] regarding consent to reproduce paintings by Faulkner on the Your Paintings website and in the Oil Paintings in Public Ownership series of catalogues produced by the PCF, [2014-2016]
- Typescript biography and list of exhibitions and commissions
- Loose colour and black-and-white photographs and Polaroids of Patricia Faulkner and her home, [c. 1949-1980s]
- Bound menu featuring the design Faulkner created for Quaglino's Restaurant at the Cavendish Hotel
- Drinks menu designed by Faulkner for Jimmy's Bar and Quaglino's
- Menus created for Tavola Grande at the St George's Hote
- Original pencil sketches and studies of flowers and figures, some for the work commissioned by Quaglino's
- Press clipping, 'Art', by W.E. Johnson: critic's review of Faulkner's one-woman show at Middlesbrough Art Gallery, The Northern Echo, [09 June 1977]
- Wooden box of 74 slides (numbered slides 1-60 and 63-76, with accompanying list) of Faulkner's work in oils on board and the illustrations for The Joy of Lesbian Sex
- Wooden box containing 65 slides (numbered 1-43; 50-53; 55-58; 60-65; 70-77, and accompanying list) of Faulkner's work from her one-woman show at the Portal Gallery, London (1984); commissioned designs for the menus for the Cavendish Hotel restaurant Quaglino's; illustrations for Homes & Gardens and Vogue
- National Registration Identity Card (Under Sixteen Years)
- Ministry of Food Ration Book, 1953-1954
- London Transport photocards
- Convocation [graduation] programme booklet, Royal College of Art, [03 July 1970
- Medal from the Royal College of Art awarded to ‘Patricia Lesley Ann Faulkner for work of special distinction’, 1970
- Catalogue, ‘Hotel View: an exhibition of oils, watercolours and pastels from some Trusthouse Forte hotels in Great Britain’
- Press clipping, ‘Painted Lady’, She, [June 1971]
- Press clipping, ‘Riding High in the Art World’, Arun Gazette, [28 October 1977]
- Handmade waistcoat embroidered and appliqued by Patricia Faulkner’s sister, Frances, for a private view of Faulkner’s work at the Mercury Gallery, 1981.
5 boxes and 6 oversized items.