About this Archive
The Evening Standard Outside Publishing Chapel represents the interests of distribution workers on the London newspaper, the Evening Standard, dealing with management on issues of newspaper distribution, employment, wages and working conditions. Its original headquarters were based at 47 Shoe Lane, EC4.
Originally part of the National Union of Printing, Bookbinding and Paper Workers, the Chapel became affiliated to the Society of Graphical and Allied Trades (SOGAT) when the NUPBPW joined with the National Society of Operative Printers and Assistants (Natsopa) in 1966. The National Union of Printing, Bookbinding and Paper Workers became the Society of Graphical and Allied Trades Division A and Natsopa became the Society of Graphical and Allied Trades Division 1. The aim was to achieve a complete merger over time, but differences led to in-fighting and in 1972 the two divisions split, Division A retaining the name Society of Graphical and Allied Trades and Division 1 becoming the National Society of Operative Printers, Graphical and Media Personnel (but retaining the Natsopa acronym).
In 1975, SOGAT officially became the Society of Graphical and Allied Trades 1975 (SOGAT '75) after amalgamation with the Scottish Graphical Association. In 1982, SOGAT '75 and Natsopa finally amalgamated to become the Society of Graphical and Allied Trades 1982 (SOGAT '82). In 1992, SOGAT '82 merged with the National Graphical Association to form the Graphical, Paper and Media Union, which subsequently merged with Amicus in 2005 to become that union's Graphical, Paper and Media industrial sector. Subsequently, Amicus was taken over by the Unite Union, although they still retained a Graphical, Paper and Media sector.
During the 1980s, the Chapel was derecognised by management. In 2005, a recognition agreement for drivers and depotmen was signed with the Associated Newspapers Group. The Chapel was based at the print and distribution centre of Associated Newspapers Ltd in Harmsworth Quays, London. On 21 January 2009, the newspaper was taken over by Russian businessman Alexander Lebedev, although Associated Newspapers retained a 25% holding in the company. On 12 October 2009, the newspaper became free and was renamed the London Evening Standard. Printing moved to Newsprinters in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire, in 2012 and the distribution, circulation and transport became based at Greenwich.
Scope and Content
- Committee minute books of the Evening Standard Outside Chapel, 1928 - 2005.
- Minute books of half yearly meetings of the Evening Standard Outside Chapel, 1924 - 1972.
- Miscellaneous records of the Evening Standard Outside Chapel, including minute books of the Combined Chapel, records of the Sick Club, attendance records, subscription book and delegate name books, 1959 - 1974.
9 boxes; 1 large volume.