About this Archive
The White Dog Benevolent Society was formed in 1783 at the White Dog public house, Widegate Street, Bishopsgate, and subsequent meetings continued to be held there. The aim of the organisation was to grant aid to the poor during the Winter months by the distribution of bread and coals purchased through membership subscriptions, contributions, admissions and fines. The Society also gave relief to distressed members, their widows, or children through the same funds on the approval of subscribers and members.
Scope and content
Records of the White Dog Benevolent Society, including:
- Handwritten minute book (c175pp) (4 November 1811 - 12 December 1825)
- Handwritten minute book (c200pp) (21 January 1839 - 31 March 1869)
- Handwritten cash book (c175pp) (7 October 1871 - 3 January 1876)
- Handwritten election of generals record book, listing name of candidate, proposer, seconder, date of election and other information (15 August 1810 - 23 March 1867)
- Handwritten membership book, including name of member, profession, proposer and number (c250pp) (23 December 1815 - 21 April 1837)
- Handwritten laws and rules of the White Dog Benevolent Society, with attached copies of receipts for annuities (7pp) (14 April 1853 and August 1867)
- Handwritten account sheet of the society with seven attached tickets for the delivery of coals by Mr Monk of Artillery Passage, Bishopsgate (2pp) (1887-1888)
- Printed form for the receipt of consolidated stock of the White Dog Benevolent Society, made out to several stockholders (1p) (11 May 1888)
- Circular letter to the White Dog Benevolent Society from the Bank of England regarding the National Debt (Conversion) Act, 1888 (1p) (12 May 1888)
- Two handwritten society law books, bound together (c100p) (1783) (1823).