About this Archive
Bishopsgate Institute is an independent centre in London providing talks, discussions and courses for adults. It also contains archives and a research library open to all. It was founded in the late 19th century by the Reverend William Rogers, Rector of St Botolph's Church in the City of London. Rogers was a noted educational reformer and the Institute was established to provide free libraries, a large concert and lecture hall and meeting rooms for the benefit of the public. The Institute was financed by the parish's charitable endowments and its building was designed in the Art Nouveau style by Charles Harrison Townsend, architect of the Whitechapel Art Gallery. Bishopsgate Institute opened its doors to the public on New Year's Day 1895; the Grade II* listed building is one of the few in the area to survive intact from the 19th century.
Scope and content
- Minute books and papers of Board of Governors meetings, Institute Committee and Sub-Committee meetings, 1891-1980
- Ephemera, press cuttings, correspondence, press releases, deeds, promotional material and other papers relating to all aspects of the Institute's activities, property and work, including its foundation, public events, educational courses, Institute structure and staffing, internal events, the Library and other departments, 1891-2005
- Photographs, illustrations, maps and plans of the Bishopsgate Institute and covering all areas of the Institute's activity, 1895-2005
- Papers of Institute Governor Geoffrey Ince concerning his work at the Institute and his own research into his family umbrella manufacture business, James Ince and Sons, 1993-1997.
c100 boxes; c75 volumes.