About this Archive
The Local and Family History collection includes books, pamphlets, microfiche and journals on how to research local and family history, as well as information for the local or family historian.
We are not a depository for official records, but we do have transcribed registers and census indexes for many areas of London, Middlesex, and the Home Counties, plus original records for various London organisations.
- Home Counties Magazine 1899–1912
- Gentleman’s Magazine Library English Topography 1891–1902
- Victoria County Histories
- Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840–1
- Returns of owners of land (England and Wales, excluding the metropolis) 1873
- Debretts, Burke’s and Kelly’s guides to the peerages
- Lists of members of professions
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (2nd edition, 2005)
- Annual Register 1758 – 1903, 1947 - current
- Whitakers Almanac 1870 – current
- British Almanac 1828 – 1914
- Notes and Queries 1849 – 1963
- Gentleman’s Magazine 1731–1868
The following collections also contain material of interest to local or family historians:
The London Collection covers the history and development of London, and records of local institutions including the London Provident Institution, White Dog Benevolent Society, and Bishopsgate Ward Ratepayer’s Association are part of the London Collection Manuscripts.
The Howell Collection includes rules and regulations of many friendly and benevolent societies and early trade union reports.
The London Co-operative Collection includes share nominations books, share ledgers, records of the Simplex Savings Bank and insurance policies, loans and mortgage agreements.