This course will take place online, for a reduced rate of Full £16 / Conc. £12
You’ll hear talks, undertake research exercises, and take part in small-group discussions. The content has been inspired by original historic materials from our special collections, including housekeeping manuals, dinner menus, and supermarket photographs.
Who is this course for?
- Anyone curious to discover stories of food and eating out in modern London through unique historic materials from our Special Collections and Archives
- Informal learners seeking an accessible and engaging introduction to the history of food and eating out from the 1860s to the 1970s.
Will I need any equipment or materials?
This course will be held via Zoom. You need a computer/laptop or mobile phone to access the Zoom website, and a reliable internet connection. For further information on how to join a Zoom meeting, you can watch the joining video here.
Image: London Collection
You will learn
By the end of this course, you will have learnt:
- All about unique food stories from our Special Collections and Archives
- How food history interacts with wider social and political histories
- How attitudes have changed towards food and eating out from the 1860s to the 1970s.
Meet the Tutor
Dr Michelle Johansen
Dr Michelle Johansen is a social historian specialising in the history of modern London, with a particular emphasis on social class and mobility, gender, professional lives, and regional identities. Her publications include articles in Teaching History, the London Journal, and Cultural and Social History. Michelle has more than ten years' experience of delivering learning sessions at Bishopsgate Institute for all types of learners, from primary school pupils to undergraduates to informal adult learners. Her teaching approach places the emphasis on hands-on access to original historical documents, which provides a uniquely dynamic and immersive classroom experience.
Need to Know
- 11:00 – 13:30
- £16/£12 conc.
- Bishopsgate Institute
- Dr Michelle Johansen
- Max Students
- No. of Sessions
- Course Code