This course will take place online.
Recapture the excitement of London after dark in a new one-off online session inspired by original pamphlets, photographs, guidebooks, press cuttings, and ephemera from our special collections. We will teach the subject with an engaging mix of talks, research exercises, and small-group discussions.
Who is this course for?
This course is for all who have an interest in:
- Discovering the diverse histories of modern London’s night-time economy
- Exploring social history through original historical source materials
- Reimagining the city’s streets and venues after dark from the 1880s to the 1960s.
Will I need any equipment or materials?
This course will be held via Zoom. You need a computer/laptop or mobile phone to access the Zoom website, and a reliable internet connection. For further information on how to join a Zoom meeting, you can watch the joining video here.
You will need a computer or other device to connect with Zoom and a notebook/paper and pen/pencil, or digital equivalent.
Image: London Collection Books
You will learn
- Insights into how Londoners experienced life after dark during an age of rapid cultural, technological, and political change
- Richly detailed contextual information from published and unpublished historical sources
- Unique human stories behind the sources, drawn from our special collections and archives.
Meet the Tutor
Dr Michelle Johansen
Dr Michelle Johansen is a social historian specialising in the history of modern London, with a particular emphasis on social class and mobility, gender, professional lives, and regional identities. Her publications include articles in Teaching History, the London Journal, and Cultural and Social History. Michelle has more than ten years' experience of delivering learning sessions at Bishopsgate Institute for all types of learners, from primary school pupils to undergraduates to informal adult learners. Her teaching approach places the emphasis on hands-on access to original historical documents, which provides a uniquely dynamic and immersive classroom experience.
Need to Know
- 19:00 - 21:00
- £18/£13 conc.
- Dr Michelle Johansen
- Max Students
- No. of Sessions
- Course Code