Raphael Samuel Audio Collection
The Raphael Samuel Archive, deposited at the Bishopsgate Institute in 1998, included
over 140 audio cassettes containing recordings gathered by Samuel and others over
the length of his career. During 2007 and 2008, these cassettes were converted
from fragile audio tape to compact disc to enable access
for researchers to the valuable material held on them. Conversion from compact disc to mp3 is on-going. If would would like to access the recordings, please contact the Archivist in advance.
The collection includes:
- Oral history recordings with residents of the East End conducted during the 1970s regarding
childhood, social and working conditions and criminality.
- Various oral history recordings by Samuel and others regarding communism, trade
union organisation and political activity.
- Miscellaneous appearances by Samuel on Radio 4 discussing the release of new
publications and various historical topics.
- Lectures by Raphael Samuel and others on various topics.
- Folk and political protest music.