Administrative/Biographical History: Established in 1945 under the title of National Federation of Community Associations (NFCA), the organisation co-ordinated individual community associations and organisations throughout the UK. The organisation often directly communicated with the Government over issues concerning community associations, community centres and voluntary sectors, and offered information and advice about new legislation, such as VAT and charities.
In 1980 the organisation’s title changed to the National Federation of Community Organisations (NFCO) in 1980, and shortly after it separated from the National Council of Social Service (later known as National Council for Voluntary Organisations) from which it was originally a part of. In 2012 there were discussions over a possible merger with NAVCA, however this was not executed.
Throughout its existence, Community Matters served to offer essential advice, guidance and assistance for the successful running of community associations, community centres and voluntary organisations, and remained closely linked with all aspects of community life.
Scope and Content: Papers of Community Matters (formerly known as The National Federation of Community Organisations, and National Federation of Community Associations) (1920-2015), including:
- correspondence between Community Matters, National Council of Social Service, Voluntary Services Unit, and associated others, 1939-2000; papers from Community Matters conferences, events. projects and campaigns, 1951-2015
- papers and correspondence regarding the administration of Community Matters, 1930-2013; reports and papers regarding Community Matters, community centres, and community associations, 1925-2015
- papers of various local and regional community organisations, associations and groups, 1920-2006
- publications, papers, articles and speeches produced and published by Community Matters and associated others, 1933-2014
- black & white colour photographs of activities and events from Community Matters and various community associations, c1935-c2007
- audio-visual materials produced by Community Matters and associated others, c1945-c2000
- objects and artefacts from Community Matters and associated individuals, c1945-2010
- publicity papers and ephemera from Community Matters, 1982-1999
- papers from other organisations aligned with Community Matters, and of those involved in sectors regarding communities and neighbourhoods, 1939-1997
- miscellaneous papers from Community Matters and associated others, 1944-1988
Quantity: 128 boxes and 8 over-sized items