Home Library Special Collections and Archives London History London Collection Manuscripts Great National Standard Theatre

Great National Standard Theatre, Shoreditch: Playbills and Posters

Royal Standard Theatre playbillREFERENCE CODE: LONDON COLLECTION MANUSCRIPTS/46

ADMINISTRATIVE/BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY: The National Standard Theatre, located in Shoreditch High Street, was originally built in 1837 with a horse shoe auditorium seating 3,400 but was destroyed by fire in 1866; rebuilt and reopened December 1867 with a seating capacity of 3000; rebuilt for a third time by Bertie Crewe with a capacity of 2,463; by November 1926 it was in use as a cinema called The New Olympia Picturedrome; building demolished in 1940.

SCOPE AND CONTENT:

  • Thirteen playbills and posters advertising various performances and acts appearing at the Great National Standard Theatre, Shoreditch, including performances by Sims Reeves, Mrs Marriott, James Anderson and others, 1837-1862

EXTENT: 13 items