REFERENCE CODE: LONDON COLLECTION MANUSCRIPTS/55, 61, 62 and 63
ADMINISTRATIVE/BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY: Crosby Hall, Cheyne Walk, Chelsea originally stood in Bishopsgate, where it was the Great Hall of the 15th century Crosby Place. Shakespeare was familiar with this former city mansion, and wrote it into 'Richard III' as the scene of Gloucester's plotting. The building was occupied by Richard while he was Duke of Gloucester. Later it was owned by Sir Thomas More. The Hall was moved stone by stone from Bishopsgate to Chelsea in 1910 in order to rescue it from proposed demolition. It was then incorporated into the buildings of the British Federation of University Women and used as a dining hall. It is now a private residence.
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
- Deeds regarding the administration and ownership of Crosby Hall, collected by Charles Frederick Goss for the writing of his work 'Crosby Hall: a chapter in the history of London', 1547 - 1717 (REF: LONDON COLLECTION MANUSCRIPTS/55)
- Handwritten minutes of the Crosby Hall Preservation Committee (4pp), March 1832 (REF: LONDON COLLECTION MANUSCRIPTS/61)
- Volume containing selection of documents concerning the activities of the Crosby Hall Preservation Committee, including correspondence from T.Vezey Strong and Lord Curzon, reports, resolutions and other papers (23pp), 1907-1908 (REF: LONDON COLLECTION MANUSCRIPTS/62)
- Large volume of watercolours and pen and pencil sketches of the interior and exterior of Crosby Hall, including illustrations by Robert Bremmel Schnebbelie, Frederick Nash, Thomas Willement and C.J.Richardson, 1790-1899 (REF: LONDON COLLECTION MANUSCRIPTS/63)
EXTENT: 1 box and 3 volumes