Wetzel, Dave (b 1942) transport expert and politician
ADMINISTRATIVE/BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY: Dave Wetzel was born in 1942 and educated at Southall Technical College, Ealing College and the Henry George School of Social Sciences. After working as bus conductor and official in the 1960s, Wetzel became political organiser of the London Co-operative Society between 1974 and 1981. He was elected as Labour member for Hammersmith and Fulham on the Greater London Council in 1981 and served as the Chair of the Transport Committee until 1986. Wetzel also served on Hounslow Borough Council between 1964-1968 and 1986-1994, serving as the leader of the Council between 1987 and 1991. He was also Vice Chair of Transport for London between 2000 and 2008, and Chair of London Buses from 2000-2001.
Wetzel stood unsuccessfully for Parliament in Richmond upon Thames in 1979, served as president of West London Peace Council between 1982 and 1994, and since 1982, has been President of the Labour Land Campaign. Since 2008, he has been Cheif Executive Officer and international speaker for the Transforming Communities Consultancy.
SCOPE AND CONTENT: Papers of transport expert and politician Dave Wetzel, including:
- correspondence files with individuals, organisations and other GLC members, 1981-1986;
- papers and correspondence of Paul Moore, Vice-Chair of Transport at the GLC, relating to transport policy in all Boroughs of London and miscellaneous transport issues, 1981-1986;
- minutes, papers and correspondence of various organisations and committees, including GLC/London Transport meetings, the Transport Campaign Committee, the London Transport Passengers Committee, the GLC Labour Group and the Transport and General Workers Union, 1981-1986;
- papers and correspondence regarding the running and development of all major forms of transport in London, including buses, rail, cycling, the Docklands Light Railway, Dial-a-Ride, disabled transport, lorry traffic and others, 1981-1986;
- GLC Transport Committee reports, accounts and publications, 1981-1986;
- papers and correspondence regarding fares and the Fares Fair campaign, 1981-1986;
- papers, correspondence and reports regarding Hammersmith and Fulham, including the Hammersmith Broadway Development Scheme, 1981-1985;
- desk diaries, 1981-1986;
- papers, correspondence and minutes from Wetzel's period as Leader of the London Borough of Hounslow, 1987.
QUANTITY: 452 Boxes