Index (formerly Index on Censorship)
Index on Censorship magazine was founded in 1972 to publish the untold stories of dissidents behind the Iron Curtain. Over the years Index magazine has published some of the greatest names in literature including Nadine Gordimer, Mario Vargas Llosa, Samuel Beckett and Kurt Vonnegut. It also has published some of the greatest campaigning writers of our age from Vaclav Havel to Aung San Suu Kyi.
Scope and Content: Papers of the charity and campaign publishing organisation Index, (formerly Index on Censorship) (1971-2009), including:
- Correspondence of Ursula Owen, David Astor, Edward Crankshaw, Louis Blom Cooper, Mark Bonham Carter, Lord Gardiner, Jim Rose, Stuart Hampshire, Sir Roland Penrose, Lady Elizabeth Longford, Dan Jacobson, Tom Stoppard, Louis Sieff, Lord Sainsbury, Stephen Spender, Peter Reddaway, Evelun de Rothschild, Zbynek Zeman, Salman Rusdie [with reference to The Satanic Verses], and Random House publishing, 1971-1997.
- Minutes of Writers and Scholars International Ltd including the Finance and Editorial Committee, 1971-1996.
- Minutes of the Writers and Scholars Educational Trust, 1984-1997.
- Accounts of the Writers and Scholars Education Trust and Writers and Scholars International Limited, 1981-1993.
- Correspondence regarding the lease on 21 Russell Street, London, 1974-1980.
- Papers regarding the merger of Article 19, Index on Censorship and Writers and Scholars Educational Trust, 1987-1989.
- Papers regarding publishing, administration and funding of Index on Censorship, 1983-2009.
- Papers and correspondence regarding Charities Aid Foundation America, the Saatchi advertising campaign, the event ‘They shoot writers, don’t they?’, and the Africa Project, 1984-2002.
- Pamphlets, 1979-2007.
- Articles from various authors including reports regarding the 20th anniversary of Index on Censorship, 1987-1997.
- Front cover designs and photographs used in Index on Censorship magazine, 1989-1990.
- Amnesty International Media Award, Periodicals Award, Russia Series, 2008.
- Cartoons drawn by Palomo, Brychta, Plantu, Milan Radev, Andrsej Krauze and others, 1982-1991.
- Examples of Samizdat and activities of Eastern European Peace Groups, 1972-1999.
- Cuttings and articles from the Index on Censorship Archive regarding events and activities in countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, the Pacific and the Americas, 1987-2008.
- Press cuttings, posters, photographs, artwork, programmes and publicity regarding the foundation of Index on Censorship as well as activities and events, 1971-2006.
- Photographs of Index on Censorship personalities, campaigns, activities and the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe, 1974-1992.
- Publications by Margaret Scammell, Holli Semetko, Ruth Petrie, Judi Vernau, W.L.Webb and Rose Bell, 1997-2003; Film [contents unknown], 1987.
Quantity: 108 files