Home Library Library and Archive Collections London History Bishopsgate Ward Club

Bishopsgate Ward Club

Bishopsgate Ward Club emblemADMINISTRATIVE/BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY: Founded in 1790, the Bishopsgate Ward Club was initially a forum for the merchants, tailors and other interested parties of the Ward to express their views to the Alderman and the Common Councilmen, linking them to the governance of the City of London. In modern times, the Ward Club has become a charitable and social organisation, promoting community service, good fellowship, and an interest in the traditions and institutions of the City of London. One of the City's 22 Ward Clubs, the Bishopsgate Ward Club arranges a varied programme each year including receptions, luncheons and insider tours.

SCOPE AND CONTENT: Records of the Bishopsgate Ward Club (1965-2005), including:

  • minute book, 1965 –1986.
  • cash book, 1976 – 1987.
  • heraldic shields, n.d.
  • correspondence, financial statements, bank statements, subscriptions, receipts and minutes, 1999 - 2005.
  • general papers, correspondence and information regarding visits and events, 1998-2003.
  • committee attendance register, 1943-1988.
  • dinner programmes and rulebooks, 1954-2010.

QUANTITY: 9 Boxes