On returning from prison, Arthur was again adamant not to go back and wanted to start life as a decent working man. He only ever got one sentence after that, four months plus the rest of his license (probationary period after the jail sentence) which amounted to 18 months in total. He was wrongfully accused of hitting a policeman, though he did try to steal a taxicab for a bit of excitement. Milly and Arthur Tresadern in the garden

Arthur set himself up with a workshop in a cottage in Gibraltar Gardens, and began producing high quality, trustworthy furniture. Sturdy tables, easels and boards were his specialty. Even then however, the underworld would come knocking on Arthur’s door asking for help and protection. One very notable time could have got him a life sentence. Find out more

Arthur got married on the 21 April 1924 to a beautiful young girl, fifteen years his junior, named Milly Worby. Milly’s family was overcrowded and needed to find her a husband. Since she and Arthur both were shy (though Arthur had no inhibitions when dealing with characters of the Underworld), he simply said “It’s no good hanging about - let’s get it over”, and with that they became a couple.

The only previous contact they had was probably eye contact when Milly used to help his mother and sister out, cleaning for them. To Arthur, Milly was his ”angel, someone who truly could bring me out of all this mess”. The service, held in Brighton, differed from the East End tradition of local weddings, which usually consisted of mass invites to all neighbours and the reception in the local pub (often followed promptly by a fight). 

Arthur and Milly Tresadern on the Beach

Arthur insisted that Milly never went to work, so she never did again. Instead he worked night and day producing boards and easels and the couple saved every penny they could so they could one day move out of the East End for good. The year after their marriage, they had their first child. Perhaps part of their closeness and compassion was that Arthur had only had sex once before.

Milly and Arthur in their later years, relaxing on the beach (left)

The last violent encounter of Arthur’s life came in 1930 only shortly after his marriage, when a rival gang, fronted by a man called Dodger Mullins, knocked at the door very early one morning. There was a curious system happening at the time, whereby gangsters in trouble would ask previous convicts like Arthur to cough up cash as a kind of insurance, a form of the terrorising. Find out more

Continue to 'Later Years'>>



Add a comment

You need to be signed in with your details to add a comment. Log in or Register now